Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Big girl back from London

So my daughter was back from London on Sunday, with her luggage filled with stories and candies and cookies (including flapjacks from Marks and Spencer's). She LOVED the city and had a great trip. She took amazing pictures (see below) and came back looking two years older... that's what journeys do to children...


She and her grand-mother went everywhere, including Chinatown and the Science Museum which she absolutely loved. And of course Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Soho, Picadilly Circus, Hyde Park, Coven Garden... They had so much fun!


Yet, a misadventure happened there. They were in the bus and my mother told my daughter they were going to have to go down. My daughter had spotted a super cool taxi in the street and, thinking it was their stop, she got off the bus and took pictures of the taxi. The bus drove off and she suddenly realized that my mother was still inside... She didn't panic althought she was scared, she stopped a lady who was passing by and told her in French that her grand-mother had stayed in the bus. Of course, the lady, who didn't speak French, didn't understand a word. My daughter, understanding that she would be no help, thanked her and said goodbye. Then she noticed an empty bus a few steps away. She went and told the bus driver what had happened. He didn't speak much French either and asked her several things in English which she managed to understand and respond to like: What bus? Bus 91. How old are you? I'm ten. The bus driver was calling the driver of the bus 91 when my daughter saw her grand-mother looking for her in the street with panic (she had stopped at the next stop and walked back to where my daughter had gone out). And that's how a super scary story ended well... I have to say that when my daughter told me what happened, I was MAD at my mother that she could possibly loose a child in a foreign city. But I was so proud of how my daughter had handled the situation, it showed us how much she has grown and how smart she is - even if we all knew that already! It also showed us how right we were the day before she left to explain her what to do in case she got lost in London... Lesson learned: don't be scared to talk about what bad could happen because it is better that your kids know what to do in case it does happen...


She's definitely a big girl now!


All pictures courtesy of my beloved daughter, no retouching:








The famous taxi...








She was amazed by the cakes! And I am amazed by her, I am so proud of my daughter!

1 comment:

French Cannes Cannes said...

So scary! She did exactly the right thing! (i hadn't even considered the language barrier!) yikes!