Friday, February 11, 2011

To be pregnant...

To be pregnant is something very special. As I am looking at my belly, getting bigger than I thought it would ever be, and as my baby is moving, making my skin move with him, I am wondering how he is going to look like, what color his eyes will be, what color his skin, his hair, what shape will his legs and feet and hands be... And then, what will he love, what will be his passions in life, how will his laughter sound like... 
All I know is that we love him, we are waiting for him to come, with patience and impatience, with love and tenderness, we have no other expectations for his future than for him to be happy, but one thing we know is that he is going to bring us happiness.




Yesterday I was watching a TV show and they were debationg about this "medicine-baby" who was born to cure his big sister who is suffering from a very rare and serious desease. The doctors have selected an embryo that did not carry the gene of this desease and also that had the right blood group so that when the baby is born, they would use some of the blood on his umbilical cord to try to cure his sister. And that's how the "medicine-baby" (I hate this term) was conceived. In the show, people were arguing about how they thought it was unethical to give birth to a child for those reasons, and others were saying that anyway there is always a reason why people make babies so why not this one. As much as it frightens me to think that we are slowly going towards a world where we can challenge Nature more and more, and as dangerous as I think it is to let Science guide our desires to the point where we can have all we want and we deny the limits of Nature, I think it is quite beautiful that a baby can actually be such a promise of relief and joy in a family. 


My sister, who is gay, has had two children by artificial insemination, from the same donator. Now she and her girl-friend are happy mothers of a little boy who just turned two today and a little girl who is 3 months old. There couldn't be better mothers for those children... They fought so hard to have those babies, they had to go through so much pain and disappointment and stress and loss of hope that when my nefew came to this world, he was a true gift for them, for the entire family. And, apart from the fact that they are two mothers and there is no father except for the biological father, they are such a regular family!!! There is nothing weird about them...


So maybe we shouldn't judge people on their choices and the reasons why they make babies. Because as long as the desire of the parents is to love their children and to make them happy, then maybe there isn't a better reason than another to concieve a child.


Some mothers end up raising their child on their own, like I did for many years, and even if that was not their dream in the beginning and they feel guilty about it, that doesn't mean they have to be blamed for the bad choices they made, as long as they love their children and they make sure they are loved enough to be happy. Some mothers who love their jobs will go straight back to work after having their babies because they cannot give up on their passion and it will be fine because it's probably better not to be at home a lot and to be happy and loving, than to stay with your baby with so much frustration inside of you that at one point the baby is going to suffer from it. But other mothers will decide to sacrifize for their children, and they will do a great job at being the best mothers they can be... 


I think to be pregnant is a different feeling for every woman. And although there are similarities between pregnant women, we all have different reasons why we wanted to have a baby - or even didn't want to have one - and we all have different hopes and dreams for our children. 


I have been pregnant twice and both pregnancy have been so different, it amazes me. But it is great, because my baby, in my womb, is teaching me that he will be different from his sister, that he is a unique person, and that I will have to learn how to be a mother for him as well as I had to learn how to be a mother for my daughter. This is magical... I am so happy to be pregnant... Soon my baby will come and a whole new adventure is going to begin for me, for us. I can't wait to share this with my man, my daughter, and everybody in our family and friends... I can't wait for my little boy to come and change the world, in his own way, like every child does, no matter where he or she is born, no matter how long he or she will live and what he or she will do. Babies come and they change the world...


No comments: