Thursday, January 20, 2011

Why do I write in English?

Yes, why do I write in English when I am French?

Somehow, it is easier for me to write in English, which is still a language that I speak daily with my man even though it is not my mother tongue (and I am sure some mistakes will attest that...), it is easier because I can say a lot of things without exposing myself completely directly. It is a strange thing, because on one hand, I know I would not go as deep in my inner self if I was writing in French, so I will say more personal things in English, I feel that this language which is not mine but which I made mine, is a place where I can be freer and relieved from the boundages of culture and education, and on the other hand, using the English is like protecting myself, it is like a shield between me and the words I say. A little bit like makeup: you wear it to enhance your face and eyes, to bring out and show the parts you want people to see the most but it also hides the face that is completely nude, the face that you will show only to your family or very close friends.
Also, in English, words come out more easily. Again, it is a question of education. I guess being the daughter of a writer gave me a kind of a complex, I am not sure I can write my true feelings in French as well as I can write them in English...
Another reason is that, if ever somebody reads my blog, I would like anybody to be able to read it around the world, not just people who speak French.


I wonder if I look French... What is it like to look French anyway?...
My man says I do, he probably knows better, since he is not French...


No comments: